Saturday, February 19, 2011

Sugar Coated Peanuts


I found this bag of raw redskin peanuts at a Wal-Mart in Kitty Hawk, NC and picked them up to make Hubby a batch of Sugar coated Peanuts.  Very Old School recipe that I have never tried before, but have eaten throughout my life. So tonight I a gave it a whirl.  So easy too.  I wished I had been doing them for years, because they are really good.



Sugar Coated Peanuts

3 cups of raw redskin peanuts  (the coating won't stick to the ones that don't have the skins on)
1 cup of sugar
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon of red food coloring, (optional)

Preheat oven to 275.
Put sugar, water and food coloring in a pan and bring to a boil. Add peanuts and stir to coat, continue to slow boil, stirring constantly,  until all liquid is absorbed.  (you are essentially turning the mixture back into sugar)
Cover a baking sheet with foil, pour peanuts out into an even layer.  Bake for 1 hour at 275.
(There is a recipe on the back of the bag that uses the entire bag.  32 oz. of raw redskin peanuts, 1 1/4 cups of sugar and 3/4 cup of water.  Prepare them the same way.  I wished I had seen this first)

So yummy - you have to give them a try.  You won't be sorry.

Gary says:  Highly Addictive! You really can't eat just one.

No comments: