Saturday, February 19, 2011

Red Velvet Cream Cheese Swirled Brownies

I found this recipe on the net at Christmas time.  I made 2 pans of them and they rocked. I am going to bookclub tomorrow night and I have dessert so I am going to double the recipe and put it into a 9x13 pan, as opposed to the 8x8 listed.  I am sure it will turn out. 
***It worked out just fine, I didn't add any to the cooking time and they came out perfect in the 9x13 pan**

Red Velvet Cheesecake swirled Brownies

Red velvet layer
1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup cocoa powder
Pinch salt
1 tablespoon red food coloring ( I used a whole little bottle for the double batch - didnt' measure)
1 teaspoon vinegar
2 eggs
¾ cup all-purpose flour
( I used Swan's Down cake flour - add 2 tbls more flour for all recipes you use this in- so says the box- and so says me)

Cheesecake layer
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
¼ cup sugar
1 egg
⅛ teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Grease and flour an 8 by 8-inch baking pan, and set aside.
Melt the butter, then pour it into a large bowl. Add the following ingredients, in this order, stirring after each addition: sugar, vanilla, cocoa powder, salt, food coloring and vinegar. Whisk the eggs in a small bowl and then stir into the cocoa mixture. Fold in the flour just until combined. (Don’t overmix!)
Set aside ¼ cup of the batter for the top; pour the rest of the batter in the baking pan, spreading evenly across the bottom.

For the cheesecake layer, beat the cream cheese, sugar, egg, and vanilla in a medium bowl until smooth.
Carefully spread the cream cheese mixture on top of the brownie batter in the pan, then plop spoonfuls of the remaining brownie batter over the cream cheese. Drag the tip of a knife through the red velvet and the cream cheese to create swirls.

Bake the brownies for 30 minutes. Let them cool completely on a wire rack before cutting.

No comments: