Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Rolling Brie Incident and a Recipe


I was shopping at Sam's club on Friday without Gary. We usually go to the club stores together and every body knows how cheap Gary can be, and he always says, Oh you don't need that. Well he is in Atlantic City so I was forced to pick up the meds on my own. MWAHHH HA HA... I am shopping around the cheese and they have some items marked down after Christmas. I found this giant wheel of Brie that is about 8 inches across and the price is $3.81. Well who am I to turn down such a deal and I don't have G saying,. Oh you don't need that, so in the cart it goes. I spent $259.00, not including the meds. I did buy some stuff for work and I am quit sure that is what ran my total up. I ended up with 2 boxes full and one of them had 2 bottles of wine in it, I am thinking, how am I going to get these out of the cart. Well I hauled the first one out and got it in the car, no problem. The second one, I got half in the car and then stuff started falling everywhere, Lunch Meat, cheese spread and the Giant wheel of Brie dropped and I saw it go in slow motion........the cask, opened right up, the lid fell at my feet and the brie itself and the bottom rolled, in tandem, under the Ford Explorer parked beside me. Great. My first thought was I should get my camera out because no one would believe this, then I thought, well I should just leave it there. But nooooo. I got down on my hands and knees in my work clothes, in the cold and tried to retrieve them. I got the very edge of the brie paper with my fingernails and ripped the paper off in a little spot then I finally got the bottom and then used that to scrape the Brie towards me. Then I hauled myself up by the back of the Explorer and went over to my car, laughing all the way. No sooner did I get back to my car then here comes a man with a cart and he went right to the back of the Explorer. And what did I do? I said, OMG my wheel of Brie rolled under your car and I had to go under there and get it. And he says, very dryly. Yeah, I saw the end of it, I thought thats what I saw. I said, Oh I am sure the part you saw was LOVELY. I almost left it there. He said, I know you were calculating the cost of that. I said Yes thats exactly what I was doing. Thinking in my mind that I lost my dignity for a mere $3.81!! Then he took my cart to the return for me. You want to know what this guy was wearing? A black CHEF's coat. With embroidery on the sleeve and a thermometer in the sleeve pocket!! What are odds that a chef emerges from Sam's club, to see a crazed woman under his car chasing a wheel of Brie? I certainly hope he was inspired. So with all that being said, here is my favorite recipe for Baked Brie. Bon Apetit


Baked Brie with Brown Sugar, Bourbon and Pecans
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1 tablespoon bourbon
1/2 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff-pastry sheets, thawed
1 round Brie (not the giant size I chased under the car, but probably an 8 oz wheel)

Directions:
Stir together first three ingredients.
Place puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface, roll out fold lines. Spread brown sugar and pecan mixture in a 5 inch circle in the middle. Place Brie round on top of sugar mixture. Fold in corners and rub seams tightly to prevent leaking. Turn upside down so the folder portion is on the bottom. Make sure Brie and sugar mixture is sealed to prevent leakage. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until lightly browned and cheese is melted.
Let cool 10 minutes. Serve with crackers, french bread, sliced apples or pears.
**Robbin's notes. I seldom follow directions. I put the Brie in the center of the puff pastry, Pack on some brown sugar, sprinkle on some bourbon and sprinkle on the nuts. bring the puff pastry up the sides and make a little bundle shape on top. Just make sure its sealed. Comes out great and everybody loves it.

No comments: